Legion War Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiers. Whats your opinion?

+8
Pasta
General Diddy
Shadowyoshi4
Chuff
nintendoatlarge
Thirdkoopa
Tom8er
kcchiefs27
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tiers. Whats your opinion? Empty Tiers. Whats your opinion?

Post by kcchiefs27 Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:36 am

Do you believe in tiers?
kcchiefs27
kcchiefs27
Primid
Primid

Number of posts : 108
Wii Friend Code : 3211-2543-1631-3221
Registration date : 2008-01-04

Back to top Go down

Tiers. Whats your opinion? Empty Re: Tiers. Whats your opinion?

Post by Tom8er Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:56 am

Sure I mean why not?

Err... what is a tier lol?
Tom8er
Tom8er
Blue Alloy
Blue Alloy

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by kcchiefs27 Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:02 am

lol. It's a way of ranking the characters. Like if two people played against each other at melee with exactly the same skill level, the person who is using the higher tier character would win. Thats the belief
kcchiefs27
kcchiefs27
Primid
Primid

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom8er Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:08 am

I'm not sure if i Understand but is it basically saying something like Luigi is a stronger overall Character then Mario or something like that?
Tom8er
Tom8er
Blue Alloy
Blue Alloy

Back to top Go down

Post by kcchiefs27 Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:17 am

yeah.

If somebody plays as mario while the other plays as luigi, if the opponents have the exact same skill level, luigi would win because he is higher on the tier than mario.
kcchiefs27
kcchiefs27
Primid
Primid

Back to top Go down

Post by Thirdkoopa Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:33 am

Lulz i beet mai friend who ws plyng as math n i was plyng s G&W N i faur stawcked him olololol.

Seriously; There ok; I Don't put every step of confidence in them but they certainly exist when playing against someone who is your skill level, It more revolves around skill but yeah... Razz.
Thirdkoopa
Thirdkoopa
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Smashers
Battlefield:
Trophy Gallery: --------------

Back to top Go down

Post by nintendoatlarge Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:30 am

A way of life.

Tires, on the other hand, dun exist.

nintendoatlarge
Primid
Primid

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuff Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:14 am

Anyone have a pic of the tires don exits shirt? I want to make a demotivator.

nvm

Tiers. Whats your opinion? Poster75524551
Chuff
Chuff
Yellow Alloy
Yellow Alloy

Number of posts : 211
Wii Friend Code : I don't know who my main is. Stop asking. I WILL shoot.

Smashers
Battlefield:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom8er Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:34 pm

I still think if Your are around the same skill level it wouldn't matter if tier's exist or not. Unless there huge like in Dragon ball z SSJ4 Goku can't lost to Master Roshi No matter the skill level of opponents. But I can still see how people might argue this.
Tom8er
Tom8er
Blue Alloy
Blue Alloy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowyoshi4 Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:53 pm

i think they are an ok way of ranking characters, but i don think they difine smash bros. I mean, everyone knows that marth is better than kirby, but something like mario is better than *insert character close to him on the tier here*, isnt allways nessaceraly(sp) true.
Shadowyoshi4
Shadowyoshi4
Legion General
Legion General

Number of posts : 145

Smashers
Battlefield:

Back to top Go down

Post by General Diddy Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:18 pm

Obviously some character are better than others, but some skill is involved with characters. Like everybody says shiek is amazing, but i just can't use her. Other people say Marth is awesome, but my little brother can't use him to save his life.

So really, i dunno o_O

General Diddy
Sticker
Sticker

Number of posts : 36
Wii Friend Code : lol wut

Back to top Go down

Post by nintendoatlarge Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:20 pm

General Diddy wrote:Obviously some character are better than others, but some skill is involved with characters. Like everybody says shiek is amazing, but i just can't use her. Other people say Marth is awesome, but my little brother can't use him to save his life.

So really, i dunno o_O
>_>

Well, I don't know what to say...

nintendoatlarge
Primid
Primid

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by Pasta Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:25 pm

People who don't believe in tiers don't understand what they actually are.

It's not really a list of best to worst characters, its a ranking for each character's individual metagame which is primarily shaped by tournament results.

In casualspeak, that means it's a basically list of each character's currently shown potential for success. Fox players tend to perform very well in tournaments on a consistant basis. Therefore, Fox clearly has shown a great potential for success. Kirby players, on the other hand, even the best of them, cannot compete very well in tournaments and usually place considerably poorly, therefore the potential for success in Kirby has been shown to be rather low.

The tier list changes because new techniques, and strategies are discovered constantly and are used in favour to the characters, therefore adding depth to their metagames and increasing their shown potential. For example, the Ice Climbers were considered low tier for a long time until Chu and many other rising IC players began to perform exceptionally with them consistantly, thus proving the Ice Climbers had much more potential against the higher-tiered characters than once thought.

Most people seem to think that tiers are a 'law' that state Character A will always win against Character B because A is higher on the list. They also think this 'law' ignores external factors such as skill. That's not correct. However, it does mean that it has been shown that Character A has a greater potential success than B in a generality.

The pre-mentioned external factors, which include skill, specific character counters (or advantages in casualspeak) and stage counters are what decide a single match. Tiers do not determine a single match; instead they are a representation of how well the characters fare as a generality. That's the key word here.

Edumacate.

Pasta
Sticker
Sticker

Number of posts : 39
Wii Friend Code : gtfo cretin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Echo Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:28 pm

Pasta wrote:People who don't believe in tiers don't understand what they actually are.

It's not really a list of best to worst characters, its a ranking for each character's individual metagame which is primarily shaped by tournament results.

In casualspeak, that means it's a basically list of each character's currently shown potential for success. Fox players tend to perform very well in tournaments on a consistant basis. Therefore, Fox clearly has shown a great potential for success. Kirby players, on the other hand, even the best of them, cannot compete very well in tournaments and usually place considerably poorly, therefore the potential for success in Kirby has been shown to be rather low.

The tier list changes because new techniques, and strategies are discovered constantly and are used in favour to the characters, therefore adding depth to their metagames and increasing their shown potential. For example, the Ice Climbers were considered low tier for a long time until Chu and many other rising IC players began to perform exceptionally with them consistantly, thus proving the Ice Climbers had much more potential against the higher-tiered characters than once thought.

Most people seem to think that tiers are a 'law' that state Character A will always win against Character B because A is higher on the list. They also think this 'law' ignores external factors such as skill. That's not correct. However, it does mean that it has been shown that Character A has a greater potential success than B in a generality.

The pre-mentioned external factors, which include skill, specific character counters (or advantages in casualspeak) and stage counters are what decide a single match. Tiers do not determine a single match; instead they are a representation of how well the characters fare as a generality. That's the key word here.

Edumacate.
thats y bowser iz so hi on the list cuz i win torunys with him by 3 stocking shiz
Echo
Echo
Sandbag
Sandbag

Number of posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by Pasta Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:31 pm

Echo wrote:thats y bowser iz so hi on the list cuz i win torunys with him by 3 stocking shiz
inorite

gimpy gawt nuthn on ur mad skizzles afro

Pasta
Sticker
Sticker

Number of posts : 39
Wii Friend Code : gtfo cretin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metaxas Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:01 am

Well, some players will abuse it. Like Marth sword in Melee. It can still hit if your on the other side of the structure in that level with the flying saucer.

Overall Id have to say no.
Metaxas
Metaxas
Sandbag
Sandbag

Number of posts : 87

http://www.teamvoidarchive.110mb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thirdkoopa Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:26 am

Chuff wrote:Anyone have a pic of the tires don exits shirt? I want to make a demotivator.

nvm

Tiers. Whats your opinion? Poster75524551
Lawl.
Thirdkoopa
Thirdkoopa
Admin
Admin

Smashers
Battlefield:

Back to top Go down

Post by Witchking_of_Angmar Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:04 am

Sorry, but this topic fails, for a simple reason. tiers exist, and they are true. This is a fact. Ravioli explained some of it. Also, what people must remember, is that in close skill battles, it's matchups and skill at the matchups that counts, not tiers.

Equally skilled players: Marth vs. Peach. Peach and Marth are both high on the tier list.

Now, you have a few scenarios:

1)Neither knows anything about the matchup, so the match will probably be close, as they are not playing the matchup correctly
2)Peach knows the matchup (but marth doesn't), and abuses her advantages, and wins the match.
3)Marth knows the matchup (but peach doesn't), and abuses his advantages, and rapes her hard
4) They both know the matchup, and since Marth has a huge advantage in it, he wins.

So when deciding who has a better chance of winning, you have to take into account the overall skill, skill at things required by the matchup, and knowing the matchup/being able to play it well. Tiers don't come in anywhere. It's all matchups, people. Tiers are an overall ranking method, but tehy don't determines scenarios like the above.
Witchking_of_Angmar
Witchking_of_Angmar
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 142

Smashers
Battlefield:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben111 Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:10 pm

TIRES DON EXITS!!!!

That's the way of ranking CPU skill. Not human skill. Just look at Ganondorf; he's low tier, his CPU sucks, but he's powerful when used by humans!
Ben111
Ben111
Yoshi
Yoshi

Number of posts : 486
Wii Friend Code : 0147-2485-7168-2743

Smashers
Battlefield: Gotta Catch'em All!

https://legionwarcentral.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuff Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:14 am

Ben111 wrote:TIRES DON EXITS!!!!

That's the way of ranking CPU skill. Not human skill. Just look at Ganondorf; he's low tier, his CPU sucks, but he's powerful when used by humans!
You're an idiot.

Sorry, fact.
Chuff
Chuff
Yellow Alloy
Yellow Alloy

Smashers
Battlefield:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben111 Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:25 am

Tom8er wrote:I still think if Your are around the same skill level it wouldn't matter if tier's exist or not. Unless there huge like in Dragon ball z SSJ4 Goku can't lost to Master Roshi No matter the skill level of opponents. But I can still see how people might argue this.
That's not true! I beat Goku as Master Roshi just a few days ago! XD

....But I'll admit, it is rather impossible.
Ben111
Ben111
Yoshi
Yoshi

Smashers

Back to top Go down

Post by Thirdkoopa Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:45 am

Witchking_of_Angmar wrote:Sorry, but this topic fails, for a simple reason. tiers exist, and they are true. This is a fact. Ravioli explained some of it. Also, what people must remember, is that in close skill battles, it's matchups and skill at the matchups that counts, not tiers.

Equally skilled players: Marth vs. Peach. Peach and Marth are both high on the tier list.

1)Neither knows anything about the matchup, so the match will probably be close, as they are not playing the matchup correctly
2)Peach knows the matchup (but marth doesn't), and abuses her advantages, and wins the match.
3)Marth knows the matchup (but peach doesn't), and abuses his advantages, and rapes her hard
4) They both know the matchup, and since Marth has a huge advantage in it, he wins.

So when deciding who has a better chance of winning, you have to take into account the overall skill, skill at things required by the matchup, and knowing the matchup/being able to play it well. Tiers don't come in anywhere. It's all matchups, people. Tiers are an overall ranking method, but tehy don't determines scenarios like the above.

Actually it really depends on who knows what tiers are and not, Fact is that here are a lot of Smash Players who have no clue whatsoever that we talk about smash this much :p So chances are that a lot of them won't know about it, It more goes around competitve players, They exist for sure but question is if you know about them or not.
Thirdkoopa
Thirdkoopa
Admin
Admin

Smashers
Battlefield:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom8er Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:59 am

Ben111 wrote:
Tom8er wrote:I still think if Your are around the same skill level it wouldn't matter if tier's exist or not. Unless there huge like in Dragon ball z SSJ4 Goku can't lost to Master Roshi No matter the skill level of opponents. But I can still see how people might argue this.
That's not true! I beat Goku as Master Roshi just a few days ago! XD

....But I'll admit, it is rather impossible.

Lol did the other person not fight back at all.
Tom8er
Tom8er
Blue Alloy
Blue Alloy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuff Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:34 am

Thirdkoopa wrote:
Witchking_of_Angmar wrote:Sorry, but this topic fails, for a simple reason. tiers exist, and they are true. This is a fact. Ravioli explained some of it. Also, what people must remember, is that in close skill battles, it's matchups and skill at the matchups that counts, not tiers.

Actually it really depends on who knows what tiers are and not, Fact is that here are a lot of Smash Players who have no clue whatsoever that we talk about smash this much :p So chances are that a lot of them won't know about it, It more goes around competitve players, They exist for sure but question is if you know about them or not.

Well yeah, the tiers are for players at the peak of the current metagame
Chuff
Chuff
Yellow Alloy
Yellow Alloy

Smashers
Battlefield:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben111 Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:40 am

Chuff wrote:
Thirdkoopa wrote:

Well yeah, the tiers are for players at the peak of the current metagame
Tiers are for people who can't decide who to play.

"guuhhh.... i dunno who to pick. whos teh best? google says tat fox rulz. im gonu yooz him!"
Ben111
Ben111
Yoshi
Yoshi

Smashers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next